Club Name: SI BULAWAYO
Network: Soroptimist International Southern African Network (SISAN)
Federation: Soroptimist International Great Britain and Ireland (SIGBI)
Charter Date: 1 JANUARY 1967
Current Number of Members: 18 (EIGHTEEN)
Non-Profit Organisation Registration Number:
Postal Address: P. O. BOX 917, BULAWAYO, ZIMBABWE
Bank Name: NMB BANK LIMITED
Account No: 210178864 (USD ACCOUNT) 210178872 (STERLING POUND ACCOUNT)
Branch Code: 11311
When: 4TH SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH
Where: 502 LANCET HOUSE, 9TH AVENUE/J/ TONGOGARA STREET, BULAWAYO
When: WE MEET BEFORE THE GENERAL MEETINGS OR HAS PER NEED
Where: SAME VENUE AS THE GENERAL MEETINGS
Friendship Links: 2 (TWO)
United Kingdom – Barnstaple – SI BARNSTAPLE
United Kingdom – Yorkshire Region – SI YORKSHIRE
Important Calendar Dates
Annual General Meeting: 4TH SATURDAY OF MARCH
1) Knickers for Knowledge
2) Keeping the Girl Child in school
3) Scholarship for girls from primary school to tertiary education
FOOD SECURITY AND HEALTHCARE
1) Mentor Mothers on Prevention of Mother-to-child of HIV
2) Mobile dental clinics
3) Free Ultrasound services to the disadvantaged especially women and children
4) Support for elderly at Entembeni and Ekhuphumuleni old people’s homes
Knickers for Knowledge
For Knickers for Knowledge we adopted Chithekani Primary School a rural school 80 kilometers from Bulawayo where we ensure that girls have sanitary ware and knickers so they do not miss school when they are menstruating. On this project we are partnering with our friendship link SI Barnstaple and since adopting the school we have managed to do the following:-
1) Constructed a block of toilets for girls part of the construction was funded by Loos for Lynn grant.
2) Installed tap water at the school for students to access clean and safe water.
3) With the help of the community a block of classrooms and an early childhood development classroom were constructed.
4) Bought chairs and aprons for the early childhood development classroom.
5) Supported the school with text books, stationery and prizes for their Prize-giving ceremonies.
Mentor Mothers on Prevention of Mother-to-child transmission of HIV
The club continues to support Mentor Mothers at the Luveve Maternity Clinic on their monthly meetings and trainings in the following:
1) Basic Counselling and Communication Skills
2) To update them on the current information on Prevention of Mother-to-child transmission of HIV
The mentor mothers are HIV positive mothers who are mentoring expecting mothers during pregnancy and after delivery to promote Prevention of Mother-to-child transmission of HIV programme.
Keeping the Girl Child in School
Every October before the final examinations of each year we distribute sanitary ware and knickers to girls at Chithekani Primary and Singonde Secondary schools so they do not miss any examinations.
The club also awards scholarships to girls from primary to tertiary education. On these scholarships we have had girls graduating from the University of Zimbabwe, National University of Science and Technology and Hillside Teachers’ College.